Friday, April 29, 2011

Teacher Appreciate Week Card I

My little boy has 2 PreK Teachers, so I made each their own card design for Teacher Appreciation Week.  Here is the first design.

Umbrella Card
Precut cream colored A2 Card (4x5.5)

Front:
Cricut Cartridge: Everyday Pop-Up Cards
-pg23 Phrase and Phrase Layers: Showering Thanks cut at 1 1/4"
ProvoCraft Slab III: diamond patterned paper
Cardstocks: black, light blue, light green, blue



Inside:
Cricut Cartridge: Everyday Pop-Up Cards
-pg36 Pop-Up: Umbrella cut at 5"
Heavy black cardstock for Umbrella base
Shift Umbrella and Layer 1 cut at 3 1/4
ProvoCraft Slab III patterned paper: water splash pattern, light purple speckles, and darker purple
Presentation Cover clear-gloss poly to make the umbrella shiny and plastic umbrella-like

Assemble the umbrella parts as usual.
I used Zip Dry glue adhesive just around the outside edge to attach the clear layer to the front of the umbrella.  I knew it would be seen, but thought it may add to a "wet, rained on appearance".  That particular glue dries very fast, so I didn't squish it fast enough to create a more spread water effect, but still believe the card is nice.  The glue seen does not take away from the shiny umbrella look I was after.

While the layers do not line up exactly to the pop-up umbrella, they are very close and the slight difference in sizes do not deter from the construction or look.


Here is the side view of the tabs attached to the card back.
Although I used a thick cardstock for the umbrella base, the handle is thin and closing the card causes a slight bend near the curved part.  Just be slow and careful when opening and closing this particular design.

As my first cricut popup card I definately searched for a How-To video online.  I just wanted to make known that this card is not my design, here is the link to the directions and design inspiration I followed, but without the Gypsy.

Thank you to Crafting with Katie for your assistance and making my first pop-up card a beautiful success.
http://www.craftingwithkatie.com/2011/04/umbrella-everyday-pop-up-card-with.html

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this.. I know sometime you will need it. Just bookmark the handmade pop up cards to your website.. Just follow us to hear more informations.

    ReplyDelete