Thursday, April 28, 2011

Baby Rattle Shaker Card

Wow.  This card turned out better than I ever dreamed.  A friend and coworker just had a darling baby boy so I decided to try my hand at a shaker style card.


Front:
Precut cream colored 5x7 card
Cricut Cartridge: Wild Card rattle (Shift Icon from the Carriage Card) cut at 5.5
Cuttlebug: Swiss Dots
Cardstock: light blue, white, blue, clear-gloss poly (purchased a pack of those presentation binding covers at Office Depot)
Small square pop dots, cut in half
White and blue seed beads
Blue marker
Ribbons: cream and dark blue



To create this card, I actually cut the rattle icon 3 times with light blue, blue and the clear cardstock.  If I had the Gypsy I would have removed the 3 front cuts on the face of the rattle, but luckily the Cricut did not cut completely through the clear sheet.  This concern was just so the beads would not have an escape route.

On the light blue rattle, take your halved pop dots and make a very tight ring around the outside edge of the top circle.  Here is a picture of the circle partially complete.  I should probably have used some version of a pop dot strip instead of hand trimming each little square, but I wanted to use what I had on hand.
Pour the seed beads into the enclosed circle.
Cut the handle off the clear rattle cut and place that on the pop dot ring.
Cut off the handle from the blue rattle then cut out an even circle from the middle of the blue, so that you are left with just a blue ring.  The ring width should just be wide enough to cover the pop dot ring showing through the clear circle.
The rattle portion is now built.  I used just a light blue marker to color the white edges of the pop dots and took some glue to the edge just to ensure the seed beads would not find a tiny hole between pop dots.

Inside:
EK Success Edger: Starry Night
Congratulations stamp
Tim Holtz Distress Ink: Faded Jeans


I thought the whole project looked terrific for a first attempt even if it did take me twice as long to work out all the details.  Luckily, I am confident I can make it much quicker next time.

1 comment:

  1. What a great card! I have to make a baby girl card and this gives me a good idea! Great job and TFS

    ReplyDelete